Salzburg Airport: “Finally a flight connection to Serbia”

The Niš flights raise new opportunities for deepening the good relations between Austria and Southeastern Europe

Salzburg Airport: “Finally a flight connection to Serbia” Bild: Salzburg Airport

On August 2ns, 2019, Air Serbia landed in Salzburg for the first time. The new flight connection from Salzburg to Niš offers great potential for holidaymakers and business travelers thanks to its proximity to many other exciting cities within a radius of 200 – 300 kilometers.

“Air Serbia offers us an interesting foothold in Southeastern Europe with this destination. This exciting new destination not only enhances our flight program, but will particularly benefit the Salzburg and the Bavarian economy,” says airport manager Bettina Ganghofer.

“We are convinced that the new connection between Austria and Serbia will contribute to strengthen economic relationships and tourism,” said Duncan Naysmith, CEO of Air Serbia. The flights take off twice weekly.

Air Serbia emerged from the ashes of Aeroput, founded in 1927, and was renamed into JAT (Yugoslav Airlines) in 1947. The airline experienced many ups and downs until Etihad Airways acquired 49 per cent of the shares six years ago. The remaining 51 per cent remained with the Serbian state. Both shareholders raised a loan of US$ 80 million for the development of the new company and renamed the joint airline to “Air Serbia” on October 27, 2013.

Today, the Air Serbia fleet comprises eight Airbus A319, two Airbus A320, one Airbus A330, three ATR 72-200 and three ATR 72-500, as well as four Boeing 737-300. Air Serbia operates passenger and freight services to a total of 40 destinations in Europe, the Mediterranean, the Middle East and North America. Etihad Airways and other partner airlines offer flights to international destinations in Asia, Australia, North America and Africa.;