On July 6, the Boeing 747-800 contacted Austrian ground for the first time. Sabah al-Ahmad al-Dsachabir as-Sabah, the Emir of Kuwait, landed in his private plane in Salzburg, attracting many onlookers at the airport.
The Boeing 747-800 is the longest passenger aircraft in the world. Apart from Lufthansa, who have great expectations for the wide-body aircraft, it also in demand as “private jet”.
The latest Jumbo Jet model was introduced in the market five years ago. Features of the Boeing 747-800 include better aerodynamics thanks to airfoils with folded up wingtips, new engines by General Electric and reduced fuel consumption by 15 percent.
With a length of 76.30 meters, the B 747-800 is about three meters longer than the Airbus 380. One of the most prominent buyers of the longest passenger aircraft is the US government, who recently ordered new Air Force One airplanes for the US President.
Facts&figures of the Boeing 747-800:
- 747-8 Intercontinental is the latest wing and engine design of all large commercial aircraft.
- The aircraft also has a new interior design, inspired by the 787 Dreamliner.
- Intercontinental can carry 410 passengers (three-class configuration).
- The aircraft has a range of 14,341 kilometers.
- The speed of the B 747-800 is Mach 0.86.
- The machine has lower emissions, produces less noise and has a higher fuel efficiency than any 747-predecessor models.